As our extended period of clear weather continues, we are sitting in the “normal caution” phase of avalanche issues. These include:
1- Sluffs on steep slopes. These have been small to medium in volume, but are getting larger by the day as the surface becomes weaker under clear skies.
2- Triggering an outlier avalanche. This would most likely be an ‘unsupported slab’ that sits above a cliff or steep rocky terrain. Check out video HERE for an example.
3- Triggering a cornice fall. The cornices maybe be small(ish) right now, but they are clearly large enough to take you down somewhere you don’t want to go. As always, give them a wide berth.
Photo: You can see the boot pack to the top of Tincan Proper steers clear of the cornices, however it looks as if someone may have triggered a piece of cornice recently from the boot pack, or possibly veering off of it. A good reminder for us to err of the side of caution when traveling near cornices.
Below is a glimpse of the high elevation snowpack (3,700′). We are finding the old faceted snow from the mid-November cold snap being compressed below roughly 1-3′ of dense and hard Thanksgiving snow. Other than Graham’s pit on Friday, we have seen no reactivity in these old facetd. This includes both snowpack stability tests as well as a large number of folks testing the slopes in the region.
“No results” mentioned in pit = a stabilized snowpack.
As we may be approaching the end of our clear spell, we are watching for the next possible weak layer(s) develop – the surface. Check out the recent reports for more on this HERE.
Yesterday was another stunning day in the backcountry; sunny skies, calm winds and temperatures in the mid 20’s F. This was all above the fog and inversion. However, down along the road corridor, temperatures in the single digits existed along with valley fog extending up to 1,500′.
Today (and tomorrow) will be much the same, mostly clear skies with valley fog. Winds should remain light and variable yet are forecast to increase from the East tonight to the 10-15mph range. Temperatures will again be in the mid 20’s F on the ridgetops and in the single digits in the parking lots – that’s quite an inversion.
Our next shot for snow looks to be Thursday or Friday. Stay tuned!
|Temp Avg (F)||Snow (in)||Water (in)||Snow Depth (in)|
|Center Ridge (1880′)||17||0||0||24|
|Summit Lake (1400′)||5||0||0||11|
|Alyeska Mid (1700′)||17||0||0||14|
|Temp Avg (F)||Wind Dir||Wind Avg (mph)||Wind Gust (mph)|
|Seattle Ridge (2400′)||19||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|01/16/21||Turnagain||Avalanche: Tincan Trees||A Schauer Forecaster|
|01/15/21||Turnagain||Observation: Sunburst||Schauer/ Wunnicke Forecaster|
|01/13/21||Turnagain||Observation: Tincan||Johnston-Bloom / Moderow Forecaster|
|01/13/21||Turnagain||Observation: Center Ridge Meadows||Alaska Avalanche School Rec Level 1 Roberts|
|01/12/21||Turnagain||Avalanche: Seattle Ridge/Center Ridge||A Schauer Forecaster|
|01/11/21||Turnagain||Observation: Tincan Trees||Schauer/ Roberts Forecaster|
|01/10/21||Turnagain||Observation: Center Ridge Meadows||Alaska Avalanche School Pro 1 Course Latosuo|
|01/10/21||Turnagain||Avalanche: Tincan trees||Anonymous|
|01/09/21||Turnagain||Observation: Johnson Pass||Anonymous|
|01/08/21||Turnagain||Observation: Sunburst meadow between Hemlocks||Anonymous|
Status of riding areas across the Chugach NF is managed by the Glacier and Seward Ranger Districts, not avalanche center staff. Riding area information is posted as a public service to our users and updated based on snow depth and snow density to prevent resource damage at trailhead locations. Riding area questions contact: email@example.com
|Area||Status||Weather & Riding Conditions|
This is a general backcountry avalanche advisory issued for Turnagain Arm with Turnagain Pass as the core advisory area. This advisory does not apply to highways, railroads or operating ski areas.