Tue, November 05, 2019
What? A new website!?
That’s right! You may have noticed there’s a fresh new look and features on the CNFAIC website. Even more exciting is how easy and mobile friendly it is. We have been working to kick off winter 19/20 with this big web ‘revamp’ and we’re very proud to show it off!
- WEATHER STATION MAP!
- See where each station is located and click for a quick look at the hourly data.
- WEATHER Page
- find the popular ‘weather station list’ for all the sites. It defaults to an alphabetical list, which may take some time to get used to.
- Submitting observations is easier, especially from your mobile device!
- Tabs allow you to submit ‘general information’ (required), ‘avalanche/weather/snow detailed information’ (optional) and ‘photos’ (optional).
- Uploading photos – anything larger than a couple MB bogs the system down as many of you know. We’ve added links to apps for iOs and Android to downsize photos when you’re submitting on the go. No more than 5 MB please!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have issues uploading!
- Email email@example.com for Hatcher Pass observations.
CNFAIC.org home page provides a quick glance at:
- Avalanche Danger Map
- Recent Observations
- Events – workshops, talks, films!
Now you can also find us at ChugachAvalanche.org
TURNAGAIN AVALANCHE FORECAST
- New desktop tabs to access weather, observations and riding areas.
- Mobile devices will still scroll with no tabs.
AVALANCHES and ACCIDENTS databases
- Query recent avalanches by region.
- Side bar can quickly get you to accidents, near misses and U.S. accidents.
What’s moved? We hope you find the new site quite intuitive and easy to navigate. A couple items we thought were a little harder to find are:
- Look in the top menu, above the main blue menu bar.
- Events are also on the home page and side bar of some page.
- Join us this winter for community workshops and talks!
- Now found under the ABOUT menu.
Find a glitch? Like what you see? Let us know.
Please surf around the new site and let us know what you think. Any bugs we haven’t caught yet? Anything missing? Something you like best? Thanks for sharing!
Thank You, Friends!
Thank you to the Mat-Su Trails and Parks Foundation, Billy Finley at Couloir Graphics, and Crane Johnson for generously helping us create two new, integrated websites for both ChugachAvalanche.org and hpavalanche.org.
Special thanks to our MEMBERS and SPONSORS for partnering with us via Friends of the CNFAIC to bring avalanche forecasting and awareness to Southcentral Alaska. Your donations make a difference in our backcountry community and are very much appreciated. Together, we are saving lives this winter. Stay safe, Friends!
– CNFAIC forecasters