There were no new avalanches reported yesterday after the plethora of easily human triggered avalanches on Sunday. This is likely due to two things: (1) only a handful of folks were out testing slopes that were not already tested Sunday and (2) the weak layer is slowly adjusting to the new load of the wind slab. The widespread collapsing seen Sunday has decreased but was still occurring on the ridgelines yesterday, which points to the lingering instability. Snowpack test results show signs the slabs are gaining strength – moderately easy to trigger (compared with Sunday when it was just plain easy to trigger).
Areas where the Saturday winds loaded slopes and scoured slopes are still visible as the scoured areas have a darker look while wind drifts and slabs have a brighter, white look and often a rounded nature. A slight bump in wind today (NW, 10-20mph on the ridgelines) will likely not add to the avalanche problem but may mask these older, more concerning wind slabs. Any wind loaded slope steep enough (> 35 degrees) has the potential to avalanche, these slides could be anywhere from small and manageable to larger and unmanageable. If one of these releases in unforgiving terrain (for example, in a large bowl like Todd’s Run, or over a cliff) a ride could be enough to injure or kill a person. Watching for collapsing (whoomphing) and cracking will be obvious signs the slab is unstable.
Good travel practices are not to be left at home. Only exposing one person at a time, keeping a close eye on your partners and discussing potential avalanche zones will be prudent.
Below treeline, the snowpack is back to one unconsolidated unit with low density storm snow, which has lost its slab properties, over the weak old snow. There is a layer of buried surface hoar that does a good job at marking this new/old interface.
We have a brief break between storms today with clearing skies and light to moderate northerly winds. Temperatures have cooled off with the northerly flow overnight and are in the upper 20’s F at sea level and mid-teens at 4000ft. Ridgetop winds are forecast to be ~10mph from the NW, gusting up to 25mph.
Another system is moving in from the west tonight but it is not the ideal set up for Turnagain Pass as the low is centered north of the Aleutians €“ more of an Anchorage and Hatcher Pass special. It looks like Turnagain Pass could see somewhere around 4-8 € of snowfall tonight through Wednesday. Stay tuned tomorrow morning.
This is a general backcountry avalanche advisory issued for Turnagain Arm with Turnagain Pass as the core advisory area (this advisory does not apply to highways, railroads, or operating ski areas).
Kevin will issue the next advisory Wednesday morning, December 12th.
|05/22/23||Turnagain||Avalanche: Tincan||Nick D'Alessio|
|05/12/23||Turnagain||Avalanche: Tincan, Sunburst, Magnum, Cornbiscuit||Heather Thamm|
|05/07/23||Turnagain||Observation: Tincan – Bear Tracks||CNFAIC Staff|
|05/05/23||Turnagain||Observation: Seattle Ridge||AS/ WW Forecaster|
|05/02/23||Turnagain||Observation: Cornbiscuit||Schauer/ Sturgess Forecaster|
|05/02/23||Turnagain||Observation: Seward Hwy Turnagain Pass||Joel Curtis|
|04/30/23||Turnagain||Observation: Magnum||Ayla, Kit Crosby, Barton|
|04/29/23||Turnagain||Observation: Tincan||John Sykes|
|04/28/23||Turnagain||Avalanche: Taylor Pass/Pastoral||Schauer/ Creighton Forecaster|
|04/28/23||Turnagain||Avalanche: Tincan||Andy Moderow|
Status of riding areas across the Chugach NF is managed by the Glacier and Seward Ranger Districts, not avalanche center staff. Riding area information is posted as a public service to our users and updated based on snow depth and snow density to prevent resource damage at trailhead locations. Riding area questions contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Area||Status||Weather & Riding Conditions|
This is a general backcountry avalanche advisory issued for Turnagain Arm with Turnagain Pass as the core advisory area. This advisory does not apply to highways, railroads or operating ski areas.