Fri, September 30, 2022
Winter is on the Way!
Winter 2023 is coming…
The days are getting shorter, the mountains whiter, and early season events are lining up.
Oct 20, 7pm: MSP Ski Film!
- MatchStick Productions – “Anywhere from Here”
Showing Thursday, October 20 at 7pm at the West Anchorage High School Auditorium.
Doors open 30min prior.
Tickets HERE ($20 in advance and $25 at the door).
Oct 27, 830pm: Snow Stories 4.0 – BearTooth Theater Annual Fundraiser!
- Get stoked for the winter with Friends of Chugach Avalanche Center!
Featured speakers will be serving up stories of adventure, with some lessons learned along the way.
Tickets and details at HERE.
Nov 4, 9am-430pm: SAAW (Southcentral Alaska Avalanche Workshop)
Chugach NF Avalanche Center early season operations:
- The Avalanche Center will begin issuing intermittent snow, weather and avalanche updates as conditions warrant from late October 2022 through mid November.
- Daily avalanche forecasts are planned to begin Thanksgiving week.
Early season conditions:
- Early season avalanche happen and can catch us off guard.
- Watch for those famous signs of instability – the Red Flags (recent avalanches, cracking/whumpfing in the snow, strong wind, snowfall and/or rain).
- Heading into the mountains during, or right after, a snowfall is the most dangerous time. This is when avalanches are most likely to occur; especially important to realize for hunters and others that may not have avalanches in the forefront of their minds.
*REMEMBER, the best way to keep tabs on current events/information for the early season is on our Facebook page and Instagram!!*