Observation: Chugach State Park

Location: Peak 3

Route & General Observations

I tried to traverse from Flatttop to Ptarmigan Pass, due recent (less than 24 hrs) snowfall it was slow and deep. I tried to stay on the ridge following the alpine/summer route. There was a lot of new snow in some places.
A lot of ski tracks on Peak 3 and Peak 2.
I turned around in Peak 3, at 21:00 hrs.

Red Flags
Red flags are simple visual clues that are a sign of potential avalanche danger. Please record any sign of red flags below.
Observer Comments

No Red Flags, but recent snowfall, less than 24 hrs.

Weather & Snow Characteristics
Please provide details to help us determine the weather and snowpack during the time this observation took place.

Broken sky. Some pockets of blue sky, but mainly clouds.
No wind. A few calm/light gusts. No precipitation.
New snow less than 24 hrs before.

Snow surface

Fresh Snow on top. Fist penetration.
Some places with Knee deep pockets.


Snow pit at 3701' ASL.
TSD: 85 cms.
SA: 35°
NW Aspect.
ECT-16 Q1 (Planar, clean fracture and the slap slide to the pit.) Fracture line 32 cms below surface.
Snow like grain/ sugary facets on the "weak layer". Hard to identify the Weak layer though. I think is a tinny crust or different density snow.

My point here is:
After this test, I decided it wasn't stable/safe for myself to continue to a similar slope I was going to. But Right after this happened, like 60 mts from where I was, I snowboarder dropped from a rock (probably as tall as him or more) to the snow. With no reaction on the snow, neither triggering some avalanche or nothing. Also the slope had already many fresh ski tracks after the storm.
So, it was a good decision making? Is it possible that where he landed was a deeper or stable snow pocket ?

Photos & Video
Please upload photos below. Maximum of 5 megabytes per image. Click here for help on resizing images. If you are having trouble uploading please email images separately to staff.