Observation: Chugach State Park

Location: Peak 3

Route & General Observations

Ski up P3 to about 2,800′. Winds constant about 15-20 mph with gusts up to 30-35 mph. Active scouring and windloading going on, with fresh windslabs forming rapidly. Triggered shooting cracks on some of those windslabs.

Snow conditions in the gully were 70% soft snow or freshly formed F to 4F windslabs, with the remaining 30% the bulletproof windhammered snow before this last storm that revealed itself after the wind stripped the surface snow away.

Red Flags
Red flags are simple visual clues that are a sign of potential avalanche danger. Please record any sign of red flags below.
Obvious signs of instability
Recent Avalanches?No
Collapsing (Whumphing)?No
Cracking (Shooting cracks)?Yes
Photos & Video
Please upload photos below. Maximum of 5 megabytes per image. Click here for help on resizing images. If you are having trouble uploading please email images separately to staff.