Support the forecast! Support the forecast!

Give to Friends of the Chugach National Forest Avalanche Info Center.

Observation: Turnagain

Location: Near tincan proper

Date:
Observer:
Route & General Observations

Was skiing the tincan trees in the afternoon while visibility was bad and then it cleared up and I hiked out to the spine before tincan proper. The wind increased significantly on the ridge after about 4pm, I’m guessing a steady 15mph gusting into the 20s. Dug a pit but didn’t ride.. My skin track was nearly indecipherable on the way back because of the blowing snow.

Red Flags
Red flags are simple visual clues that are a sign of potential avalanche danger. Please record any sign of red flags below.
Observer Comments

Snowpit block test failed at 19. Likely a wind slab as I was near the ridge.

Weather & Snow Characteristics
Please provide details to help us determine the weather and snowpack during the time this observation took place.
Weather

A couple inches of dry snow had fallen earlier in the day, the sky cleared up about 3pm, the ridge top winds steadily increased after that. (Maybe?) diurnals from the sun poking out, seemed predominantly off the arm but there was a lot of swirling snow blowing from numerous directions.

Snow surface

Packed (but not really crusted) snow from the last snowfall with the new couple inches of dry powder being blown all around.

Snowpack

Failed at 19 on what appeared to be hoar frost about 10” down. Likely a wind slab as I was near the ridge line on the predominant Lee side of the tincan ridge.

Photos & Video
Please upload photos below. Maximum of 5 megabytes per image. Click here for help on resizing images. If you are having trouble uploading please email images separately to staff.