Three snowmachiners caught. One rider came to rest on surface, one partially buried and one fully buried and killed.
Synopsis: 3 snowmachiners caught, 1 deployed an airbag and came to rest near the surface, 1 partially buried and 1 fully buried (with hand breaking the surface) and killed.
Avalanche code: SS-AMu-R3D2-U
- Type: Soft slab
- Problem/Character: Unknown (storm slab suspected)
- Crown Thickness: 24” average, max 36” (estimate)
- Width: 200-300’ (estimate)
- Vertical Run: 500-1,000’ (estimate)
- Trigger: Snowmachine
- Weak Layer: Unknown
- Aspect: East
- Angle: 40 degrees at crown
- Elevation: ~5,000
- Path Character: Terrain trap, gully Debris: 8 – 10’ deep (estimate)