Route & General Observations
Toured from the Crow Creek trail head parking lot until the trail junction before turning around due to red flags and the party ahead remotely triggering a small avalanche early in the approach.
|Elevation||unknown||Slope Angle||unknown||Crown Depth||unknown|
Delayed followed a separate pair of skiers up from the Crow Creek lot with intentions of skiing Jewel Glacier. At the trail junction, the pair went straight (toward the mine) and remotely triggered a small avalanche on the smaller slope just above/before the Monarch mine remnants (Assuming wind slab.)
Obvious signs of instability
|Recent Avalanches?||Yes||Collapsing (Whumphing)?||Yes||Cracking (Shooting cracks)?||Yes|
Recent winds created many winds slabs on the approach through the valley on the standard hiking trail. Cracking, and collapsing when touring off the skin track.
Clear sky, variable winds- increasing as we went further into the valley, new snow from Sunday/Monday had significantly been transported.
Variable - Sastrugi, powder, rocks
Reactive wind slabs.
Simple slope test on skis and hand pits showed active slabs and variable firmness and depth of the slabs.
Around 8 ish inches of fresh powder at the parking lot.
We passed a group that was in the middle of a formal pit. Shared their results of ECT 14 with full propagation