Our Mission: Friends of the Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center (F-CNFAIC) is dedicated to enhancing avalanche awareness in Southcentral Alaska through information, outreach and partnerships.
F-CNFAIC • PO Box 242482 • Anchorage, AK 99524-2482
Born and raised in Anchorage, Amy was a regular in the Anchorage outdoor community. She lived for adventure and companionship in the backcountry. Amy continually pushed herself to try new things and develop her outdoor skills. She thrived on the feeling of empowerment that wilderness experiences gave her, and was always looking to share those feelings and experiences with others. A gifted connector, she had a natural ability to bring people together, usually outside. Amy’s enthusiasm for skiing and adventure is dearly missed.
This scholarship offers women the opportunity to gain the skills and equipment necessary to have their own adventures in the backcountry and the chance to experience the same feelings of empowerment and joy that drew Amy to the wilderness.
The Amy Downing Scholarship Fund was established by Charlie’s Produce, with generous support from Tote Maritime. 2017/18 recipients will each receive a beacon, shovel and probe donated by Deuter/Ortovox.
Donations can be made into the Amy Downing Scholarship Fund here for members and here for sponsors. Specify the amount you’d like to donate next to “Downing Avalanche Scholarship Fund” on the right side of the screen.
|Charlie And Courtni Billow||Ray& Marilee Bowen||Nick Brewe||Keith Brewe|
|John & Gail Travers||Gary and Lark Young||Charlie's Produce||TOTE Maritime|
If you would like to apply for this scholarship, please read and follow the steps below.
Amy Downing Scholarship Fund Application process:
- 3-5 scholarships will be available each season to women seeking an Avy 1 or Avy 2 course. A beacon, shovel and probe are included with the scholarship award.
- Scholarships must be used during the season in which the scholarship is awarded.
- Local offerings include courses through Alaska Avalanche School and Alaskasnow.org. If you wish to take another instate or out-of-state course, please specify in your application. Eligible courses must conform to national standards.
- Potential recipients must write a request, no more than two pages, to the F-CNFAIC scholarship committee that includes:
- A brief candidate resume/bio
- Course name and dates
- An explanation of why the applicant feels she should be awarded the scholarship
The deadline for applications is December 15. Requests will be reviewed and awarded by the end of the calendar year. To apply, email your request to email@example.com or submit by mail to:
PO Box 242482
Anchorage, AK 99524-2482