Our Mission: Friends of the Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center (F-CNFAIC) is dedicated to enhancing avalanche awareness in Southcentral Alaska through information, outreach and partnerships.F-CNFAIC • PO Box 242482 • Anchorage, AK 99524-2482 A 501(c)(3) Non profit organization since 2003 • Federal Tax ID: 68-0578518 Email F-CNFAIC
The Friends of the Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center (F-CNFAIC) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation, organized to support and contribute to the educational and scientific activities provided for the public by the CNFAIC.
Formed in 2003, F-CNFAIC works to help bridge the gap between available US Forest Service funding and the actual expenses of operating the Center to protect the Center from yearly funding variations. F-CNFAIC plays a large role in supporting forecaster salaries, operating and maintaining weather instruments and webcams that are extremely valuable in assisting forecasters to interpret snow pack conditions. Most backcountry enthusiasts have come to rely on this instrumentation. In the past few winters we were able to establish weather stations at three additional sites in South Central Alaska: Seattle Ridge (with webcams), Fresno Ridge, and Marmot Ridge near Hatcher Pass.
F-CNFAIC is currently working in conjunction with the CNFAIC to accomplish several new goals. We rely on support from people like you, who recognize that our local backcountry is world-class, and who wish to be a part of promoting its safe use.
Goals completed 2011-12
- Provided several scholarships for avalanche education to the public
- Provided full tuition for a Level 3 Professional Avalanche training course for each of our forecasters
- Provided an avalanche beacon training park for public use
- Organized two fundraising events and increased membership by 25%
Goals for 2012-13
- Supporting CNFAIC forecaster salaries
- Providing continued financial support for student interns to bolster the CNFAIC forecasting team
- Providing funding for equipment and maintenance for CNFAIC forecasters
- Maintaining, expanding, and updating, weather stations
- Increasing awareness and presence in the motorized community
- Establishing forecasting in the Hatcher Pass Management Area and Chugach State Park
- Establishing a permanent avalanche beacon park readily available for public use
- Continuing to provide scholarships to the public for avalanche education
- Assisting with hosting and organizing the 2012 International Snow Science Workshop (ISSW)
2012-13 Operating Costs
F-CNFAIC is proud to continue our efforts to protect backcountry travelers in mountainous southcentral Alaska. This important work continues due to generous support from folks in the community and corporate sponsors.
For the 2012-13 season we need $70,250 to provide funds for forecaster salaries, updating equipment, and maintaining weather stations. 99% of donated funds directly support the cause.
Please donate to help F-CNFAIC continue to provide forecasting activities and avalanche education to Southcentral Alaska.
SNOW AND AVALANCHE HOTLINE (907) 754-2369
If you have comments regarding CNFAIC operations or winter recreation managment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2014 Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center. All rights reserved.