Sunday, April 14th 2019 7:00 am by Wendy Wagner
ARCHIVED ADVISORY - All advisories expire after 24 hours from the posting date/time.
The avalanche danger is MODERATE on slopes above 2,500'. Wet loose sluffs could be easy to initiate on steep sunny slopes by this afternoon/evening. Sluffs could become larger than expected if surface warming melts the top 4-6" of the snowpack. On high elevation north aspects (above 3,000'), triggering a dry slab avalanche may be possible due to a weak layer buried 1-2' deep. As always, give cornices a wide berth and limit travel under glide cracks.
PORTAGE VALLEY: Cornice fall and/or avalanches from above have the potential to send debris to valley bottoms and into snow-free zones. Traveling along hiking trails, such as the Byron Glacier Trail with steep slopes overhead, is not recommended this afternoon/evening during the heat of the day.
LOST LAKE / SEWARD: Similar to Turnagain, wet loose avalanches on sunny slopes are possible with the heat of the day. Dry slab avalanches could be a concern on high elevation northerly slopes.
MONDAY AVALANCHE OUTLOOK:
No avalanche forecast will be issued tomorrow. Similar avalanche conditions are expected on Monday, Apr 15th. Watch for increased surface heating by the sun and wet loose avalanches on slopes with wet, mushy snow.
|Show the Complete North American Avalanche Danger Scale|
|Travel Advice: Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features. Evaluate snow and terrain carefully; identify features of concern.|
|Travel Advice: Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.|
- Daily advisories end today (Sunday, Apr 14th). For the remainder of April, advisories will be posted 4 days/week (on Tues, Thur, Sat and Sun). The avalanche center will close for the season on Saturday, April 27th when we will post our springtime tips. Thank you everyone for tuning in!
Please join the US and Canada in a joint survey looking into how to better serve you – the users!! We want to hear from all backcountry recreationalists, especially those that are just beginning to use the avalanche forecast. The survey takes about 30 minutes. Survey link: HERE. (Participants will also be entered to win $500, so don’t delay!)
A couple sunny days are in the forecast and we are generally back into a springtime avalanche regime. Meaning, low hazard in the morning (frozen snow surface) transitioning to a moderate hazard in the afternoon on solar aspects (melting snow surface). Wet loose sluffs should be easy to trigger once sunny slopes warm enough to melt the top 2-3" of frozen snow. If the surface becomes even more sloppy (6" or more of wet/mushy snow) then sluffs could become larger and more dangerous, especially in larger terrain. Paying attention to surface warming/melting will be key for the next several days.
Other springtime concerns are cornice falls. Cornices heat up and can destabilize rapidly during daytime warming; making them easier to trigger.
Cornice along the Sunburst ridge yesterday.
In the dry snow that sits on shaded aspects generally above 3,000', even over 3,500' in places, a questionable weak layer exists 1-2' below the surface. The layer is composed of facets and buried surface hoar and was found at 3,300' on Tincan. It is suspect to be lurking on other high elevation northerly slopes. We had a good look around yesterday and did not see signs of natural avalanches breaking in the layer during last Thursday's storm, which is good news, but we still need to tread cautiously. Listening for whumpfing and digging a test pit to look for and test the layer are good ways to gather information. Sticking to safe travel protocol is also wise; exposing one person a time, watching our partners and having escape routes planned.
Taylor Pass and Basketball Chute on the right. Many higher elevation northerly aspects remain intact. The only evidence of avalanche activity from Thursday's storm were old wind slabs; no signs of avalanches breaking in deeper weak layers.
A few glide cracks that were filled with new snow on Thursday are slowly opening up again. This tells us some movement is still taking place. A chance remains that a crack could release into an avalanche. It has been a week since the last known glide released (Hope Wye area south of Turnagain). Being suspect of cracks and limiting/avoiding time spend under them is always a good idea as they can avalanche at any time.
Seattle Ridge with the up-track on the looker's right of photo. After many glide avalanches turned this ridge brown, new snow has brightened it up a bit. It has been over a week now since any glide avalanches have occurred on this slope - that doesn't mean one can't occur today however.
Yesterday: Partly cloudy skies were over the region as high pressure slowly built in. Ridgetop winds have been light over the past 24-hours, blowing 5-10mph from the east. Temperatures climbed to 30F at 4,000' and to 40F at 2,000'. Clear skies have allowed overnight temperatures to cool to the upper 20'sF below 2,500'.
Today: Mostly sunny skies with light and variable winds are expected. Temperatures should climb to 32F, or higher, at 4,000' and to the mid 40'sF at 2,000'.
Tomorrow: Monday we can expect another sunny day that could be slightly warmer than Sunday. Winds should remain light with an easterly push (~5mph). One more clear sky day for Tuesday before clouds and a chance for precipitation heads our way Wed/Thurs.
PRECIPITATION 24-hour data (6am - 6am)
|Temp Avg (F)||Snow (in)||Water (in)||Snow Depth (in)|
|Center Ridge (1880')||34||0||0||64|
|Summit Lake (1400')||32||0||0||18|
|Alyeska Mid (1700')||34||0||0||58|
RIDGETOP 24-hour data (6am - 6am)
|Temp Avg (F)||Wind Dir||Wind Avg (mph)||Wind Gust (mph)|
This is a general backcountry avalanche advisory issued for Turnagain Arm with Turnagain Pass as the core advisory area (this advisory does not apply to highways, railroads, or operating ski areas).
Riding status is not associated with avalanche danger. An area will be open to motorized use in accordance to the Forest Management Plan when snow coverage is adequate to protect underlying vegetation. Backcountry hazards including avalanche hazard are always present regardless of the open status of motorized use areas.
(Updated: May 06, 2019 )
|AREA||STATUS||WEATHER AND RIDING CONDITIONS|
|Johnson Pass:||Closed||Closed as of 4.3.19|
|Placer River:||Closed||Closed as of 3.20.19 due to lack of snow.|
|Skookum Drainage:||Closed||Placer access closed as of 3.20.19 due to lack of snow.|
|Turnagain Pass:||Closed||Closed as of 5/6. Thanks for a great season all, see you next winter!|
|Twentymile:||Closed||Closed as of 3.20.19 due to lack of snow.|
|Lost Lake Trail:||Closed||Closed as of 3.22.19 due to lack of snow|
|Primrose Trail:||Closed||Closed as of 4.3.19 due to lack of snow|
|Resurrection Pass Trail:||Closed||Closed for the 2018/19 season. Next season will be open to motorized use.|
|Snug Harbor:||Closed||Close as of 5.1.2019|
|South Fork Snow River Corridor:||Closed||Closed as of 3.20.19 due to lack of snow.|
SNOW AND AVALANCHE HOTLINE (907) 754-2369
If you have comments or questions regarding CNFAIC operations or winter recreation management, please email email@example.com
© 2019 Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center. All rights reserved.